So…routines and schedules rarely work for long in our house. If it’s not one thing happening to completely change things (like going from two cars to one, or a child getting sick and passing it around), it’s another. But if I don’t at least TRY to implement a routine, there’s no chance of having success, right?
My main focuses right now are:
1) getting Elizabeth on a bit more of an eating/sleeping schedule (we’ve been mostly on demand for her whole little life but I think she could definitely benefit from having things happen around the same time each day, so we’re gonna try it)
2) doing school lessons with Samuel every single day (he really, really wants to learn how to read, so this is super important)
3) reading together in the afternoon (I think doing family read alouds are so special but I tend to skip it when other things come up so I’m wanting to prioritize this again)
4) providing ample work for Maggie (she thrives on having purpose and knowing what she needs to work on. Since she has finished most of her eleventh grade subjects, I need to sit down with her and come up with topics/focuses for her to spend time on in the next few months)
5) getting Samuel in bed earlier (he has been going to sleep closer and closer to ten o’clock at night and, as much as I love him, I need time without him before I go to bed myself)
So, the following schedule is basically my ideal day for when we do not have the minivan and we’re at home all day, which at this time is about three to four days a week. As a reminder, Maggie is 17, Joshua is 13, Samuel is 5 and Elizabeth is 10months.
Okay, here we go…
6/6:30 wake up, blog, listen to sermons or music
7:30 wake the kids, take my shower, start laundry and tidy bathroom
8:00 wake elizabeth (breastfeed if needed), set out school lessons, eat my breakfast, kids do electronics (tv, tablets, computer)
9:00 electronics off, kids eat breakfast, feed elizabeth in highchair (fruit and puffs), kids do their chores
9:30 elizabeth plays in bedroom while I make beds, tidy shelves, etc.
10:00 elizabeth plays in living room and watches baby show, joshua snack and youtube (science show) and then school (reading, spelling and writing), maggie school (her choice), samuel snack and then school (read library books for story quilt, hooked on phonics lesson, alphabet craft, penmanship lesson)
11:00 breastfeed elizabeth and put her down for nap, samuel plays in his bedroom or outside, maggie school until lunch, joshua read to me and then play with samuel, misc housework for me.
11:30 samuel school lessons with me (math, writing), joshua ride bike/skateboard
12:00/30 lunch and clean up, feed elizabeth in highchair (if up, if not then feed once up)(cornbread or cereal and another fruit)
afternoon (no times listed because there’s honestly no point as each afternoon varies so much)
maggie and joshua finish independent school, samuel plays and watches educational tv show(s)
elizabeth nurses and naps, samuel and I do an activity together (science, game, or craft), maggie free time, joshua plays in neighborhood with friends
elizabeth still napping or up playing in living room, read aloud (me reading Lion, Witch, Wardrobe) in living room
I do housework and dinner prep, kids hang out together
elizabeth eats in highchair (meat and vegetable, puffs) read aloud (Extreme Journey – maggie and joshua take turns reading), samuel colors at table
6:30/7 dinner and clean up
7:30 watch show (old sitcoms) and/or play wii game together (all of us)
maggie and joshua free time until bed (11:00/30)
8:00 samuel and elizabeth bath/pajamas, wind down, breastfeed and bed for elizabeth, samuel just tv (no computer or tablet) until bedtime (9:00) read Bible story book every night with him
9:30 read alone or watch a show/movie with Maggie and Stephen
10:00/30 bed for me